Become a Petit Scholar Mentor
The 2013 Petit Mentor project submssion process is now open. Click here for link to submission page.
The Petit Undergraduate Research Scholars program provides an opportunity for graduate students and post doctoral fellows to mentor undergraduate scholars for valuable mentoring and project management experience while allowing them to further their research interests.
The 2013 program will run from January through December and the application review and interview process will take place in October/November of 2012.
Benefits to Mentors:
- Graduate student mentors receive $750 for travel
- Great CV builder, most employers prefer PhD’s with management experience
- Labs receive $2,000 for materials and supplies
Mentor Application Guidelines:
- Meet with your advisor to ask if mentoring an undergraduate is a good fit for you and your lab
- Ask advisor to send an email to Colly Mitchell giving their approval for you to submit a project for consideration and confirming your full-year availability to mentor
- Submit project proposal by October 22, 2012
- Only projects which allow undergraduates to work independently will be considered
- Projects will be reviewed and scored by a committee
- A lab may submit more than one proposal, but each mentor can only submit one proposal
Other Program Requirements:
- All mentors must be available to mentor scholars throughout the full calendar year, January 2013 through December 2013.
- As a mentor, you will be asked to attend an orientation session in January 2013. Additionally, mentors may be invited to donor events throughout the year to highlight the program.
- A progress report and evaluation must be conducted on the mentee at the end of spring, summer and fall semesters
- Undergraduates submit scholarship applications through September 21, 2012
- Post docs and graduate students submit project proposals (along with faculty approval email) from September 24, 2012 - October 22, 2012
- Newly-named scholars to conduct interviews with prospective mentors from October 26, 2012 - November 2, 2012
- Mentors and scholars are matched and notifications sent by week of November 5th, 2012
- Program runs from January - December 2013
For questions about the mentoring program, contact Colly Mitchell